World Beard and Moustache Championships
June 29th 2009 02:22
Beard and mustache championships.
Contestants line up at the World Beard and Moustache Championships, which was held on Saturday 14 June in Anchorage, Alaska.
The World Beard and Moustache Championships is a competition held every two years where men with beards and moustaches display lengthy, highly-styled facial hair.
The 2009 competition was recently held in Anchorage, Alaska. 300 men took part.
Pictures and captions sourced from the Daily Telegraph.
There were 18 categories at the 2009 event, divided into three sections.
Ted Stedman: Winner of the Fu Manchu category
* Natural Moustache- maximum of 1.5 cm beyond the end of the upper lip (may be styled but without aids)
* English- slender, hairs extremely long and pulled to the side
* Dali- slender with long tips, straight up or arching up
* Imperial Moustache- small and bushy with tips arching up
* Hungarian- big and bushy, beginning from the middle of the upper lip and pulled to the side
* Freestyle- All moustaches that do not match other classes
The Imperial Partial Beard category: Second: Udo Fritzsche of Germany; first: Karl-Heinz Hille, also of Germany; third: Mark Voermans of Belgium
* Natural Goatee- facial hair grown only on chin, upper and lower lip (may be styled but without aids)
* Chinese- chin shaved with moustache tips long and pulled down
* Musketeer- moustache long and slender, beard small and pointed
* Imperial- hair to be grown only on cheeks and upper lip
* Sideburns Freestyle- all other sideburns with shaved chin
* Partial Beard Freestyle- all partial beards not matching other classes
The top three in the Freestyle Beard category: third: Hans-Peter Weis of Germany; second: Gerhard Knapp, also of Germany; first: David Traver, Anchorage
* Verdi- short and round, length not to exceed 10 cm
* Garibaldi- broad, full and round, length not to exceed 20 cm
* Natural Full Beard- as grown, no aids allowed
* Natural Full Beard with Styled Moustache- as grown, only moustache can be styled with aids
* Full Beard Freestyle- full beards not matching other classes
full natural beard competition
Jack Passion, winner of the Full Natural Beard